Newman Catholic College is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic teacher of reading to both support its pupils with the development of reading and assist the staff in developing a culture of reading across the school. We welcome applications from those from the primary as well as secondary sectors. To that end the successful candidate will:
- deliver a robust intervention programme to support literacy and in particular reading improvement across the school
- support the Literacy Coordinator in following designated systems to audit, monitor and evaluate literacy provision for targeted students, adopting and adapting improvement strategies as required
- support a range of students requiring intervention within KS3 and KS4
- seek to improve levels of reading in order to remove barriers to learning and increase access across the curriculum
- support the Literacy Coordinator in tracking student progressattend and contribute to meetings relevant to post
- Support the Literacy Coordinator in developing literacy skills amongst teachers and LSAs across all departments to promote the learning and implementation of best practices in literacy instruction
- Support school-wide efforts to improve literacy instruction
- Monitor data to measure the success of literacy programs and instruction.
- Research and organise textual resources to cover the full age and ability range of the school community.
- The dissemination of information relating to those resources to staff and students as appropriate.
- To promote books/reading/literacy and numeracy among students, via booklists and recommended reading schemes including the Reading Challenge.
- To teach students to use resources through inductions, written instruction manuals and on a one-to-one basis.
- To support and improve the reading and literacy skills of students through the use of Accelerated Reader Scheme, Lexia and any other packages used.
- To supervise and run reading/break and after school clubs to promote reading.
- To encourage reading and the enjoyment of literature.
- To liaise with the Literacy Coordinator and Librarian to run competitions, book events and author visits. To support the organisation and management of events.
- Instruction in phoneme awareness, phonics, spelling, reading fluency, and reading comprehension strategies.
Closing Date : 30 September 2021.
Job Application Downloads: